FIVE SATIRICAL POINTS ON THE ACTOR DAVID OYELOWO...
One of the best and enlightening documentaries I have ever watched is the Netlfix production: What Happened, Miss Simone? – I watched it alone in my apartment and I remember it tapping into all the emotional states any good documentary ought to do. After I finished watching, I had this moment of reflection on what she truly represented and I couldn’t help but look at her the same way I view Fela Kuti. They both used their music to promote justice even in an environment they could have very easily pursued their financial interest. Rather, they risked their freedom and security to tell the truth and use their platform to voice the thoughts of the people.
When I heard there was an actual movie about Nina Simone coming to the big screens, my first thought was who is playing her in the movie? – Zoe Saldana was not the first actress I thought about. I watched the three minute trailer featuring Zoe Saldana and David Oyelowo. There have been numerous think pieces about Zoe Saldana and why she shouldn’t play the role. However, I want to take a different direction and look into how David Oyelowo fits into this whole controversy. I have yet to hear him speak on the role or his co-star as Nina Simone. So, I thought why not uncover some points as to why David Oyelowo would choose to participate in this film.
1. David Oyelowo does not know who Nina Simone is and seeing Zoe Saldana play Nina, he assumed it was a fictional role and no backlash would come of it.
2. David wants to be around Zoe Saldana, who has been considered beautiful for many years by the media. If you were in his position would you turn down the opportunity? (don't front - you wouldn't).
3. David is pretending he is not sick of biopics, so he decided to do one that would definitely show producers and directors, how sick of it he truly is.
4. David did this for money. He is Nigerian and Yoruba – business first always.
5. David is channeling his best Nollywood impression and decided to do a bad film.
Share your thoughts on the new Nina Simone Movie, Zoe Saldana and David